The CodeMash committee has been working to see if we can safely run the conference during the Covid-19 pandemic. We think that we have found a way to follow all of the safety guidelines and put on a safe conference.
We’ve outlined our plan below. The plan is based on what we know today. We will update the plan as we learn more, and as the Kalahari continues to run conferences. We are structuring as much as we can so that we can minimize negative consequences if we are forced to cancel later in the year.
• The Kalahari have documented their check-in and hotel changes on their Covid page.
• The Kalahari have hired a healthcare coordinator. The healthcare coordinator will be stationed in the conference center and will coordinate all of the cleaning and safety protocols. They will be available to assist attendees with health checks, and they will have safety supplies available.
• The stage will be made smaller so that we can fit in more round tables for dining. This will allow for more tables, with a lower fill density. The normal capacity of 8 people per table will be reduced to 4.
• Each dining spot will be cleaned and made available by the Kalahari staff in between each diner.
• The self-service meal buffets will either be replaced with chef-served buffets or with self-serve pre-plated meals. The special meals window will remain chef run.
• Session room layouts will be spaced out more with limited seating capacity. In some configurations (lab setup), plastic shields will be used between workstations.
• The Kalahari has purchased vapor sanitizers and will be sanitizing each session room two times per day.
• CodeMash will be providing branded masks and health kits to all participants.
• All participants (sponsors, speakers, attendees, and staff, etc) will be required to wear a mask while in the conference area except when presenting or when eating.
• We will be reviewing each program area regarding how they can operate safely in a Covid environment. Some programs will be modified or cancelled for this year.
o Coat Check – Coat check will be closed Tue-Thu and will only be open on Friday for those wishing to check luggage. Self-serve coat racks will be made available throughout the conference center.
o Artemis – The space ship bridge simulator will adjust cleaning protocols (and invert the polarity matrix of the quantum sensors).
o Board Gaming – We will spread the gaming tables out. No trail mix nor pretzels will be served in the board gaming room this year.
o Laser Tag – The cleansing protocols will be adjusted.
o MakerSpace – We will use plastic shields to separate the space, and we will expand the allocated space for stations so that they can be spread out.
o Thursday Waterpark Party (10pm-1am) – We will be removing this from the schedule this year.
• Families will not be allowed in the conference center area.
• The on-site KidzMash will be shifted to an online experience. We will have a broadcast booth at CodeMash for the KidzMash speakers. The sessions will focus on what Kidz can do and build at home.
• We will still have the KidzMash cabanas at the waterpark.
Our plan will be constantly evolving as we learn how to stay healthy with Covid in our lives. We have a short survey we’d like you to take. Given that we can operate safely, would you still come?
There is a certain minimum level of attendees we will need to be able to hold a great conference.